Tuesday, 22 December 2015

Song | December, In Dreams I Forgot



Never for the life of me would I have ever thought that I would end up singing here, and I am still figuring out why now, above all times seems like the most suitable. I am not Beyoncé, and I am certainly not talented in the slighted when it comes to these vocal chords, I usually try to stick to pen and paper. However, I wrote this recently, and I honestly think it would have come across rather bland without some heir, be it crackled, horrific or otherwise. I had intended for this to be a ballad, possibly sung at a local public house establishment (HowAreYa Lynotts, hey). But until the summer sessions come around - this would have been left, and possibly forgotten about by yours truly. I honestly think ballads are a forgotten art, they are starting to slip away as the years go on, which is disappointing as I think they are still, one of the most beautiful forms of expression out there. (Not necessarily mine, of course, all of the others are good eggs, though)

I wrote this in loving memory of a family member - and if you read my last post, you will understand who and why.

Without further ado, below are the lyrics and at the very bottom you will see a link to listen. If technology is on our side, it should play (please let me know if there are any hiccups).


December, In Dreams I Forgot

Did you hear that,
From the periphery,
That there's a woman -
A young widow of the sea
And she sits by her window
To mourn for an island
That she left and forgot
When she was only seventeen

I would call her brave but,
She might not agree,
She held a love of the shore
And the cold sand in her feet.
She could have it all again,
The land that she knew,
If God's will, in three weeks
She'll return to the fountain of youth.

Did you hear that,
On the periphery
That there's a woman,
A woman returning to the sea
And she's swimming past her window
Not looking over her shoulder
Latching on to years
She lost at the hands
Of the tide

In dreams, I forgot
What this woman meant,
When she told me that
Hardship made her life
Well spent
She said "For I shall remember
the times that I'll smile,
From here on in, it's just
Myself and the sun 
For the last little while."

Do you remember that
From the periphery,
The woman that carried all 
Her strength across the sea
And now the kids sit at her window
And they sing songs about her
That we'll hear across the wind
To be in our lives
Forever after.

Did you see that,
Right by the banks -
She can be seen talking to the 
Ghost of a man,
But she's just as content
As the very First Day
That she caught that
Brilliant herring,
In his currach,
On December's finest day





4 comments:

  1. Is there no end to your talents Catherine? :') Beautiful words & voice <3
    Maeve // Thrift O'Clock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah now Maeve, you're a bit too kind with the words yourself! But thank you for listening and reading - I'll get a tune out of you yet before 2016 is out ;)

      Delete
  2. Catherine, I absolutely loved listening to this. I'm so glad you chose to share it with us. Your voice is so beautifully sweet and the lyrics are incredibly haunting. I can sense all the feeling you put into this. I hope you will share more of your songs soon. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria, sorry for my delay in getting back to you! Thank you so much for listening and your kind words. I really appreciate it, you're very kind. I have a couple of other songs tucked away and it's just deciding when is the right time to put them out! I recently published my first podcast so I'll be busy at that in the meantime. Thanks for stopping by x

    ReplyDelete