Thursday, 19 November 2015

My Happy Place | Association with Independent.ie | #MindYourself


It is often taken for granted the little things around us that can collectively, if we avail of these things regularly enough, will make us happy. Over the last couple of years, the conversation of mental health has been allowed the space it deserves to be discussed freely on almost every medium. While, it is fair to say, there is a long way to go, it is with campaigns such as these that help to normalise and humanise this part of life most of us will go through at least once in our life time in some shape or form. 'For their 'Mind Yourself' campaign, Independent.ie asked me to discuss my happy place. Be sure to use the #MindYourself hashtag to read other incredible stories.

It was difficult to narrow down my favourite spots to spend my time, so I'm going to talk about two (I was always one to bend the rules wherever I could). Both of which, funnily enough, don't require any money and are two of the simplest things I do in my daily/weekly routine.

My desk has borne many a eureka! moment, tears, scratch marks, times of great creative splurges and other plummets of wheredoIgofromheres. I studied my Junior Cert on this piece of furniture, I've prepared projects, wrote pieces for writing courses, and indeed of course here on my blog. I'm currently now using it to try and plough through the Leaving Cert. It's a bit of an odd thing to say that someone can get attached to a piece of furniture, but as a young writer, you'll often find that it is a common occurrence. It's a spot that allows me to work hard, develop my craft, and if nothing else - to look out at the transitioning colours of the sky throughout the evening. Granted, at the moment, my current view is my Dad's dodgy boat that has only seen the water I would say, about three times, a porto-cabin (don't ask), and a concreted patch, the views above eye-level make up for all of that. 




Secondly, the route that I take religiously is definitely something worth mentioning. This was the first route that I was allowed to walk completely on my own. I mention the word “allowed”, because that is exactly how it was. After years of undergoing spinal surgery throughout my childhood, little milestones like these often came at a delayed stage, but were all the more rewarding nonetheless. I could have been about fifteen or sixteen when I took this route by myself. Having said that, it's one of the hardest in my village as there's quite a lot of hills and a demanding bray on the way home at "Biddy's Corner"! 











There are days where you just need to take a breather, switch off the phone, take yourself away from the desk (even my beloved one) and just head out to get some fresh air into your lungs. There is nothing more grounding I think, than the sureness of the road and crisp, sharp air to help to ease you out of a lull you may find yourself in. The views in my neighbouring village are often a source of great envy of visitors, and always provide some very Instagrammable-friendly snaps. I'll frequently bump into some of my neighbours or give the signature country "salute" on the road. In between the interactions, it almost allows me to forget about life and all the major and minor things that make it so - if only for forty minutes. It's a walk that I have brought some of my friends on and we would all agree that it is a gander we will never get tired of going on.

These are just two of the things that bring great enjoyment in their own way. I encourage everyone to:
A) Find out what makes you happy
B) Do lots of Part A

Life is full of waves and the occasional tsunami, but is up to us to make them tolerable lilts in the current. By taking some time for yourself and just being aware of where you are today, it is one of the greatest things you'll ever do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment