Saturday, 29 August 2015

Album of the Month | I Forget Where We Were | Ben Howard



It is true to be said, at this stage, I am late to the game with albums and raving about them. I'm generally present before the bandwagon or at the complete tail-end, there is no in between. So how did I stumble on this? As part of my sister's birthday present in July, I bought her the album. Taking a chance, after listening to a couple of his songs before, I figured it'd fit the bill - and it seems to have done.

If you've been following my Snapchat, you'll have known I was temporarily residing in my sister's house for a short time when some (major) plumbing works were being done in my own abode! With this, I was left home-alone quite a deal while she worked, which suited me down to the ground. Instead of listening to the radio like I usually do when I'm on my own, I threw on her CD player and low-and-behold, the said album was in the tray so I fired it on. Trying not to sound dramatic, I haven't looked back.

The vocals, lyrics are beautifully hypnotic, immersed in carefully constructed strings and strums. In this album he finds a tendency for electrical, spaced instrumentals and an effects box. All this sounds rather bland on paper but is a work of art to the ears, truly.

My absolute, favourite song in I Forget Where We Were has to be Time is Dancing, it is stunning. Listening to songs like these makes me want to fire out the Fairy Liquid and do a wash-up. Only me? But I can assure you, that's a high regard from your lady here.

"Wrapped up in empathy
The chemicals are pushing past my blood

Hold all my cliches
They are tipping my tongue to tell you that it's love

Hold it in, let's go dancing
I do believe we're only passing through
Wired again, look who's laughing
You again, all you, all you, all you"
(Like, HowCanYouNot?!)

Admittedly, I am reviewing this as a stand-alone, as I have not yet had the time to listen to his debut album, which is fair to say - is quite backwards of me. Having said that, it doesn't take away from my imminent fangirling sessions I have endured as of late.

From top-to-toe, above all, I Forget Where We Were is clearly enriched with experience and memories, and it makes you think; whathappenedhere?

So should you listen to it? Abso-bloody-lutely. You will find the Spotify widget below and will be placed on the right hand side of my blog for the month of September. You can thank me later.

What have you been listening to this month?

3 comments:

  1. Had the pleasure of seeing this magnificent man live when we was a support act for Mumford & Sons in Phoenix Park a few years ago! I absolutely love everything from him & can't wait for the next album! Fantastic review :)
    Maeve // Thrift O'Clock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I'm jealous, I'm sure he was fab! I just want to marry this album, in fact, if I ever get married a solid chunk of it will be featured! Ah thanks, I hope my obsession with it came through haha :)

      Delete