Saturday, 27 June 2015

9 Small Things To Improve Your Mood


At some stage in our lives, or even in a given week we can find ourselves stuck in a rut with one thing or another. It's inevitable, we are human, and we have feelings so we feel stuff. Some issues can be resolved fairly snappy - but others can't be nipped in the bud the way we like, or sometimes there is no rhyme or reason why we're suddenly going down the passive aggressiveness route when someone puts the biscuits at the very top shelf.

While the packet of Rich Tea mightn't be in your grasp (like me) there are things, small things that we can do to improve our mood a bit. I practice a lot of these fairly regularly - if not daily to help keep the ship afloat.

GO FOR A WALK
The great thing about walking is, it doesn't require a six-pack to get from A-B, pick a scenic route if you can - you would be surprised how much decant views can help keep you going. Take a hike up a bray to walk out the stress, one step up a hill is several steps down. There's something about seeing my neighbours along the way and giving the salute on the side of the road that results in a more content version of myself.

You'll be delighted with yourself on the way back when you see how far you went, win-win is it not?



 And how could I say no to these views?

WATCH THE SUNRISE 
If you are a teenager living in the digital age, a certain level of insomnia in the summer months is unavoidable, unfortunately. A couple of weeks ago - I was awake til 5 o'clock in the little hours, (I know, terrible - but I'm getting better!) went to the bathroom and decided on my way back I would head to the sitting room and watch the sun make an appearance.


I've been living in my own home my whole life, and I've never seen the view quite like I did that night. There was something in seeing it that completely relaxed me and sort of made whatever problems I had the day previous to seem less significant. I'm going to make an effort to get up earlier over the summer, because the view is too good to miss for another eighteen years.

WRITE/DRAW/GET CREATIVE
I take the point that not everyone has a way with words, or a pencil - I can't draw a straight line to save my life so feeling artistically inadequate is something I can sympathise with completely. I find - in my own way, my head is at its clearest at times when I'm writing regularly. A lot of the things I scribble down in my notebook never get seen by another pair of eyes, and that's okay. It's my way of figuring my way out of things and it does the job fairly well. Get a pen and paper and you'd be surprised what you could come out with!



CALL/MEET UP WITH A FRIEND
I'm just after leaving a three hour visit with the fab Kate, sure who else? Having a laugh and the banter is so important to keep the spirits high. I know of people who have a phobia of making plans - or even phone calls, where I'm a bit the opposite. Making the time out of your week to just live with people is something we should be doing. Life gets in the way and it's easy to put it on the long finger - but with everything else, you'll feel a better version of you for it. Similarly, two-hour phone calls are my absolute favourite - it puts me in great form and I'm able to sleep easy that night, so be dialing those digits!

LET THE SUN SHINE - SWITCH UP YOUR WORKPLACE
If you're working from home, blogging or even studying from home, the last thing you need is to be cooped up in a corner. I recently made a simple change to my work space; I swapped the furniture around by placing my desk facing the window. In doing this, I'm taking full advantage of the natural light. And I have to say, it's making me more inclined to actually sit down and get a bit of work done. 



CHANGE YOUR BEDSHEETS & HAVE A PAMPER EVENING
Will I ever get too old to fall in love with clean bed linen? Nope. Will I ever get tired of using all Soap & Glory products a couple of days a week? Absolutely not. For the pamper banter to take full effect - clean sheets will enhance the experience. Throw in those fancy bath bombs you've been saving since Christmas, use them all. Throw in all the oils, use everything. You will regret absolutely nothing.

I'M SO FANCY
There's a portion of all of our wardrobes that screams *I bought these on sale in New Look, but sure where am I going? I'll save them for when I'm galavanting* The truth is, you're not always going to be galavanting, we'd hope we would be able to do a lot of that, but is it worth letting the clothes creep in retirement before they've ever been worn? Put on the new threads, spritz a bit of that expensive perfume you bought in the duty-free and watch your own head turn. Strut your stuff down the hall at work or the streets of Athlone, the glamour shouldn't have to be limited to your surroundings. 

SAY "YES"
Saying yes to everything is impossible, we are not super-human, I definitely am not anyway. Are you holding yourself back for the sake of what your classmates might think about you? I don't believe in that excuse anymore. Enter that cooking competition, write that essay, tag along to that last minute concert you were invited to, and host a come-down-with-me-esque evening with your pals. Even if you're a terrible cook they won't care because your company is more important. Don't be afraid to give the green light on these things.

DO YOU 
No one can do you better than you can. Let loose, tie-away the temporary worries, let your hair down, watch a Channing Tatum film in an oversized hoodie with your slippers. Don't be conscious when you laugh down the phone, or don't be afraid to laugh at all, because laughing is probably one of the best sounds there is out there. Surround yourself with good people, make memories, take pictures - but don't be the one constantly behind the camera - you want to able to remember just how snap-happy you were.

12 comments:

  1. Such a great post! Need to remember these tips the next time I'm feeling a bit down :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Pinja, glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  2. I've been having such a bad week, that reading this post just lifted my mood! Thank you for those tips I'll definitely be using them :-)
    Jess <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh Mairead, hope you're doing OK, but glad to hear this helped - even just a little bit :)

      Delete
  3. This is a really good list! :) I do many of these things regularly. Probably my most favorite is to go for a walk (I definitely would if I lived in Ireland even if it was raining- it looks like it's so beautiful all through the year- I can't wait to go back). I also love listening to music and have also been trying to get back into reading (my only problem is that I usually can't put a book down if it's good haha). xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, walking is my preferred one too - I go every day! I never get sick of the same route that I take. I've been in such a reading slump lately - I should probably get back into it because it would help me to sleep so much better! x

      Delete
  4. Brilliant post Catherine! Going for a walk always changes my mindset and gets me thinking. I also like to listen to music by people I think are empowering :)
    Maeve // Thrift O'Clock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you Maeve :) yes music is a great one, there's an album - Since Kyabram by Declan O'Rourke that is my all time favourite album. It's on Spotify an'all! if you're into a bit of singer-songwriter stuff that will be your jam, it relaxes me so much haha :)

      Delete
  5. What an ideal post to constantly refer back to whenever you feel like you need a mood booster, and these are things that don't need huge amounts of thought anyway. I find that walking is one of the best ways to clear your head, and having the beach nearby means that I can go down there whenever I want.

    Amy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaches are fab aren't they? I'm spoilt for choice myself for sea and sand. Everyone that's read this has pretty much said that walking is their favourite thing, there must be something to it! Thanks so much for reading Amy x

      Delete
  6. I can do all of it but the meet up with friends LOL! My best friend is my twin sis, so we don't really have to meet up! and I think watching the sunrise sounds awesome since I don't normally fall asleep until 5:30am, I drink a lot of caffeine! LOL! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is inspiring, funny,and beautiful. I can't count the number of times that I've said that I should get up early one morning and watch the sun rise. There's something so great about beds at 5 am haha. Trips to the beach and exploring the unknown always calms me down. Nature is everything to me.

    Olive Needs Popeye

    ReplyDelete