Sunday, 31 May 2015

A More Equal Ireland | Marriage Referendum

A week ago today, I woke up to a fairer, more accepting and a more equal Ireland. The Marriage Referendum has been hot topic this year, debates have been exhausted, people's lives dissected in front of us, the ins and outs of parenting thrashed out. The bottom line? It passed. Not only did it pass, but we saw a surge of turnout, particularly with young people. Ordinary Joe-Soaps with no defined political backgrounds came out in force to campaign. Our little island is the first country to vote in favour of same-sex marriage in a democratic majority. After everything has been said and done, there is a lot to be proud about.

I have noticed though, the people I connect with regularly on social media and other bloggers themselves have been relatively quiet on all of this. Are they afraid? Who knows - but all I can put forward are my own views. I could have come here and spat out facts and figures, but I decided against it and instead to keep it simple.

You don't have to be a member of the LGBT community to recognise how much it means to them. If you saw some of the images and clips from last Saturday you can see yourself this handing-over of a basic human right we are all entitled to, means everything. Their smiles and joy were infectious and collectively, it showed that if we all rally together - there are no boundaries to what can be achieved.

Why do I care so much? I care about rights, I care about the people around me reaching the ultimate capacity of happiness, I care about same-sex couples I know myself and their children being protected, I care about my loved-ones no longer feeling inadequate, I care about people.

The one thing that got to me over the last few months when I sat around and thought about it was, as a straight young woman - as soon as I turned 18 in July, I could technically get married to any young fella that gave a second glance. (The chances of this actually happening is fairly minute, I think we would all agree).This is purely down to the fact that I would have had more rights. It made me sick, to think I was more entitled than some of the people I know. It didn't sit well with me at all. But as we can all see now, times are (finally) changing, the divisions are dispersing, and all the while embracing love as we know it in a unified movement.

I have a feeling, that this is only the beginning. I believe that this referendum has brought a litany of people and communities together, stronger. Can you see how much can be got out and sought when we co-operate with one another? There are many other minority groups that need a helping hand right now, and if we can do what we did on May 22nd, who knows how many more lives can be improved? The sky is the limit, and the souls that have been ignited for a greater cause should not be put out just yet.

4 comments:

  1. excellent post and yes, people have been very quiet about the topic! I agree with your views, it is so important to be aware of the rights and how it affects other people's lives.
    ~basicallychloe xx
    Don't forget to smile! :) ~ x
    www.basicallychloeblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chloe! Yes it really is important, if something like this doesn't affect us directly - then it most certainly will for the people around us x

      Delete
  2. I think people were so fired up before the Referendum that there was still a lot of residual anger and energy around for the few days after it - Roscommon/Leitrim got an awful lot of hate. Marian Keyes got an awful lot. There was a lot of rubbish on Joe Duffy from Catholic Priests who said they would have encouraged people to vote yes because it wasn't about the Sacrament - why didn't they, then? I'm so glad it passed but my county said no. My village said no. It was bittersweet - so glad it's gone through but I think a lot of people don't know what to do with themselves now! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with a lot of things you said there. My own locality voted no, which is disappointing but on a whole Mayo voted yes. I think it's hard even when you're not a part of the LGBT community to be living in an area that goes against something you feel so strongly about, it's chipped my shoulder a bit but the main thing is exactly what you said - it passed! I saw this morning, an Irish youtuber and radio presenter for Spin had acid put on his car yesterday, himself and his family were quite vocal on the yes campaign (and power to them!), some people don't know what to do and others are going out on a limb to be the lowest of the low. But I think in the bigger picture things are really going in the right direction, it's not perfect but we're getting there - I hope :)

      Delete