Sunday, 8 March 2015

Why Don't You Drive?



























As a young person, it's safe to say I get asked a lot of questions, particular at this stage in my life; "How old are you? Who's in your family? What subjects are you studying? What do you want to do after school? Where are the courses? Oh Dublin you say, well you're the brave one aren't you? And how many points to you need?"

Thinks for a second.

"And you said you're 17, so can you drive?" The attention to detail would almost be impressive if this question wasn't such a stickler. 

Majority of the questions above I can answer, I've a fair idea of what I want to do and how to go about it but the latter gets me every time. There's a lot I could say in response to this - but who wants to hear me yab on for 10 minutes about the whole thing? Not many I would assume. Usually I give a vague light hearted answer such as "Arah, not yet. I've my whole life for driving yet." The Irish are great at being vague about sensitive issues, aren't we? 

If this would be the end of the topic at hand with any given person, I wouldn't have a major issue about being asked this question. However, I do mind it when I'm being hassled about the friggin' thing;

"You'd want to get your skates on, sure you'll be in college soon."
"And when do you think you'll decide on starting?"
"Where are the lessons?"
"Sure couldn't you start studying for the theory test?"

I asked my followers on Facebook what age they started learning how to drive. It's quite interesting:


What's surprising about the whole farce is, is that it's people I hardly know start lecturing me about this. I know I'll be on the road within the next couple of years - but give a girl a break and stall the mini digger for a second. I'll give you a reason or two;
  • Have you SEEN the quotes for insurance for young drivers? Cra-zy.
  • Where will I get the money to sustain my trots around the place? I'm not made of money.
  • Through no fault of my own - I've grown up fearing the road for various reasons. I can't become Super Woman overnight on the eve of my 16th birthday because you say I should. 
  • I've got enough going on at the minute with school and work. Ain't nobody got time fo' that
A lot of us have this ideal that before we reach the age of 21 we should be driving, half way through a college degree and a litney of big nights out under our belt to name but a few things. That's conventional. 

When does a child usually start walking? 11-15 months? I took my first proper steps just shy of my 3rd birthday smack bang in the middle of France.

As you can see, I'm quite unconventional, full stop. What I'm trying to demonstrate is, it doesn't matter. I started, granted later, but I got there eventually. Driving will be the very same. My folks couldn't give a hoot when I start - as long as I'm safe.  I can't understand the pressure that I feel I'm being put under from everyone else. I'm all for "pushing the boundaries and moving out of your comfort zone" but to be fair, being behind the wheel is a bit more than just dipping your toe into the water. It's more like plunging head first into Saltstraumen.


There isn't a Best Before Date when it comes to our life's milestones. I'll start broomin' around soon enough, in good time and more importantly in my own time. And when I get my licence, let's all go on a cute little road trip and take pictures of our Starbucks in the car - because deep down, we're all striving for that same unattainable Tumblr dream.

5 comments:

  1. I started learning to drive when I was 14-15. It was legal for me to get my licence when I was 15 at the time though. I'm living with a guy who has a licence (I think) but doesn't have a car. The two don't exactly go hand in hand :) I didn't start walking until 18 months. Milestones are milestones, but milestones keep. Driving is a serious thing and it is scaaaaary. Doing it just because someone thinks you should is probably the worst reason to do something. It'll come to you allllllll natural like when you're ready :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really need to hear this! I definitely want to learn how to learn but just want to wait until I'm 100% sure - it'll all be worth the wait in the end :) Thanks for reading!

      Catherine x

      Delete
  2. I'm the same as you with regards to driving and haven't learnt yet, nor am I really sure I plan to. I've been brought up to walk a lot of places due to my Mum not driving and therefore I don't feel I rely on a car to get me places. I also dislike the roads and think I would be way too nervous to even comprehend driving on a motorway or managing a roundabout.

    Prices of things are another thing that have put me off. I don't feel that I have the money to throwaway on a car when currently, I don't really have many places to drive.

    Amy xo

    rawramazzable.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a big deal. And if you can get around by foot and it works, then good for you! Unfortunately I live in a very rural part of Ireland and walking doesn't get me very far. But when I move to Dublin within the next couple of years this will be a lot easier! There's loads of people I know in their 20s,and 30s that never drove and they seem to get around handy enough!

      You're dead right on that one, prices are shock-horror crazy, particularly for insurance!

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Catherine x

      Delete
  3. I was 18 when I passed my driving test, but it wasn't until very recently only that I actually started to drive..

    ReplyDelete