Wednesday, 18 February 2015

A Week in Dublin



Is it possible for 4 weeks to cram into 2? That's what this week and a half has felt like. Catherine where are you? You might ask. Why haven't I been blogging you might point out? It is the clichéd thing to say that work got on top of me; but *drumroll please* that is what happened, tada. Two weeks ago was manic - with books and study and tests and generally stuff that isn't worth writing about.

But ONE thing is worth writing about, I was Dublin last week on work experience in a really cool place that is all things great in the world. Today FM - an Irish national radio station were kind enough to accept an application I made some time ago as part of LCVP, a subject I'm doing for my Leaving Certificate.

It's a land of creative goodness and is related to what I want to do in the future - journalism. I'm both very happy and lucky to have gotten the chance. It was a bit of a trek from the West coast to come up, but I reckon it was worth it.

I was mainly with Joanna on the marketing team, who was kind enough to take me under her wing for the week and show me around the radio station. I've done some work experience placements in the past; and one of the reasons I thoroughly enjoyed this one was because I always had something to do. Whether it was archiving, drafting press releases or editing interviews - I was able to say at the end of every day that I did something different and exciting.

I even got to sit in on a live show with Louise Duffy and Anne - they are two of the most inviting, fun and interesting people I've met in a long time. It was great to see some of the behind-the-scenes that happens when putting together a show. O Emperor came in for a live session last Tuesday, prior to this I was uneducated in how the whole thing operates. I've come home to the West in the knowledge that sound engineers, like Gavin are the sole reason why your favourite bands sound like the descent of angels from the clouds above on the airwaves.


The news department was a realm, a world I was very eager to explore. Fingers busily tapping on keyboards, phones being picked up and knocked off, the latest news and happenings throughout the country, and indeed the world all around you, people discussing what really happened, finding leads, deciding what approach to take to a story - I think it's clear from my description that's it's my kind of bliss. It's not everyone's idea of fun, but it's my cup of tea.

To top it all off, on my last day, Hometown, an Irish boy band popped into the office to give all the ladies a rose, I know, sweetestthingever. At the time I was transcribing an interview from audio to text so I was in my own world, pretty sure it happened though.

Yeah, it happened
I've only touched on some parts but all in all it was a great week - I met some great people and got an insight into what this line of work would entail. I count myself to be very fortunate to have had this chance, let the Leaving Cert and all its menacing claws come at me!

While I was in the Big Smoke, I did get up to other things. I was on the hunt for a couple of places to eat nearby, in and around the top of Grafton Street. Due to my lack of geographical awareness and sense of direction - it had to be close by to where I was working. (Google Maps became a thing last week..)

Accents Tea and Coffee Lounge on 23 Stephen Street Lower was a pleasant discovery just around the corner. I had arranged to meet a friend, neither of us knew what to expect. 


The staff were very friendly, the tea was great (which is always a plus). It's the type of place you go to to literally hang out with friends. As soon as I walked downstairs, I saw a man in a suit panned out in an armchair listening to his headphones, a little while later I saw a group of people playing Jenga. It's that type of place, very chilled. I would say it's like a modern, hipster version of afternoon tea. Going by the menu, it's not a place you would go to everyday, as a lot of the food on offer is sweet, but if you're looking for a relaxing place to wind down and have a good cuppa - this is the place. 

My weekend also included a trip to the Shelbourne Hotel on Saturday to watch the rugby, because that simply couldn't have gone undone. Myself and my sister were lucky enough to get seats close enough to a television after mastering the act of weaving through crowds. Sadly, we didn't bump into any rugby stars - we'll catch them next time.

I visited the National Concert Hall for the first time to see Declan O'Rourke live with the RTÉ Orchestra. I've mentioned before that I'm a big fan of Declan and have adored his music with the last 10 years or more. He sounded just as sharp and beautiful has he did when I first listened to him. The hall was sold out and it was great to see. I wasn't sure how I would enjoy the Orchestra live with O'Rourke, because I've seen him with his guitar before and loved it. But it was amazing, really. It was seamless. He performed a mixture of new and old material and also some of his own favourites. There was a great ambiance as they say. It felt like I was going to see a friend sing a few songs - you can't ask for much more than that. 

Fast forward 4 days and I'm sat in my own sitting room catching up on the soaps and regaining my energy from the busy weekend, drinking my own tea and sleeping in my own bed - nothing better

What did you get up to this week?

7 comments:

  1. Very cool!!

    www.saibhegan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah - coolest work experience placement ever?! I've always secretly wanted to work in a radio station! I've never been to Dublin either - sounds amazing :)

    Glad you had a great time!
    Charlotte xxx
    www.dobeautywithcharlotte.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It was a great week for sure. Back to reality next week for me though :(

      You should sometime, it's an exciting place to be :)

      Catherine x

      Delete
  3. Wonderful, looks like you had a fab week. It would be great to work for Today FM! I would love to go to Dublin, it's definitely one of my to go to destinations..
    www.minsbeautyequipment.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I had a great time :) It sure would!!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had an amazing time! It sounds like such a great experience too.

    Antonia x | Fifi and the Diamonds

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing place to do work experience! It looks like you had a great time in Dublin. I have never been, but it is definitely on my 'to see' places list :) Helen xx (www.littlehelsb.com)

    ReplyDelete