Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Why I Haven't Made New Year's Resolutions




I have noticed over the last few weeks, a considerable amount of people are posting their year in review or New Year's resolutions. I am not going to do either. And I am going to tell you why I am not doing the latter.

I've never been the type of person to set strict New Year's resolutions, probably because a) there is a high chance they will get broken (and that's ok, too) and b) when I need to make a difference in some element in my life - it needs to be immediate (usually). I am not going to sit around until the big hand strikes 12 on the 31st of December. Why? Because I am a firm believer that you can make a change at any stage in your life, at any time.

For instance, earlier on in the year I set up a blog, I began to exercise more and I cut out every ounce of rubbish from my diet, to name but a few. These are all things I did around the summertime, I believe.

Of course there are general things I wish to start/continue that happen to co-inside with the New Year:

1.   Blog more
2.   Continue to do my best at school
3.   Maybe. Possibly. Hopefully start writing a book
4.   Read more

Regardless of the time of year, I would have gotten around to all of these things eventually. What I'm trying to say is, don't tie yourself down to a particular date on the calendar to make a change. Don't like how things are shaping up in March? Shuffle around your routine and try to make things easier on yourself - you don't need to wait a whole 8 months to turn things around.

Is the best New Year Resolution to keep moving forward with the goals we already have?

Of course, I don't mean to come across to be condesenting and undermining those who enjoy setting N.Y.Rs - if that's what motivates you, then go for it!

I read somewhere that a staggering 88% of all N.Y.Rs fail, according to Wikipedia. Yes I know, not the most scientifically reliable of sources out there. However the fact remains; we put a lot of pressure on ourselves, before we are given the chance to draw our breath. I really do think that we all set out with the best and honorable of intentions in this endeavor. But maybe for some, these things aren't quantifiable, they lack a plan and clarity on how to carry out these goals out. Possibly, due to the fact that these resolutions may not be implemented within the first couple of months of the new year - adds to the weighted burden of it all.

Don't worry my friends! You can virtually do, anything, at any time, anywhere. So if it doesn't work out, don't put yourself down, plan for the next thing to come - dust your shoulders off and keep on moving.

What are your opinions on New Year's Resolutions? Let me know in the comments below.

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this, for me personally I didn't make any New Years Resolutions as I am in the frame of mind similar to yours that you can reach a goal at any point in the year... In fact I think it's much more successful that way.

    Amy xo
    rawramazzable.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy. They never really worked for me - that's not to say they never will! But at the minute I prefer not to think too much about them, too much pressure!

      Thanks for reading,

      Catherine x

      Delete
  2. I agree, most resolutions fail because there is no plan to achieve them. I haven't really made any as I never achieve them, partly because of the above. I do have vague things I want to do in my mind but i'm bad for never writing these things down so they get forgotten the next day! x

    Amy at Amy & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy. Same here. I myself, personally prefer to just keeping doing my best with whatever has to get done and take it from there, and see what happens after that!

      Thanks for reading :)

      Catherine

      Delete
  3. Loved this post! Beautiful new look on the blog too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Georgina! I spent a lot of time at it this weekend, I've tweaked and changed as much as I can for now. A complete crash course in coding couldn't happen within 2 days, but thank you!

      Catherine x

      Delete
  4. I don't think people should wait until the 1st of January to start changing. I remember seeing on twitter people saying "Can't wait for the new year... it's time for a change! new year, new me" and I'm just like... *shoot me* okay, not really haha but I did think "YOU CAN CHANGE RIGHT NOW!!!" don't wait until the first day of a new year to change... ugh.

    anyways! I made some goals for myself too, like to read more and to keep enjoying this thing called blogging. I just want to be happier this year and complain less :P

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Jessica! It's not worth raging about one day in the year, I reckon. Best of luck with the reading venture! And well done on your Youtube debut :) Best of luck with it.


      Catherine x

      Delete