Friday, 30 January 2015

Album of The Month #4 | Vance Joy | Dream Your Life Away

































I haven't written an album review since October - and I'm not quite sure how I let that 
happen. I'm a terrible person, I know. Having said that, December has been the month I've been listening to the choons over Christmas and New Year.

It's not a new album, it's been out for a while, but with many things, I am late to come to the hype.

Aside from the fact that his hair is a stand-alone talent that any hair product would want him to be the face of, he's a talented young fellow.

Joy's debut album "Dream Your Life Away" was followed up by the EP, "God Loves You When You're Dancing". We all know the song "Riptide", but how many people really know the rest of James Keogh's music, know known of course as Vance Joy?

With many of the songs, there is a story; almost a beginning, middle and end. To me, this is one of Vance Joy's major strengths. Each song weaves a delicate web of a story, as he bares his soul with the backdrop of a candid acoustic guitar. It could be arguably said that the singer doesn't push the boundaries of his genre - but at the same time, that doesn't need to be done in order for this to work.

As a whole, it's quite an uplifting piece of work. I had been listening to Hozier's album for a very long time before I got around to listening to this properly. These two records are quite different for obvious reasons, and "Dream Your Life Away" is almost lighter on the ears with it's uptemto, feel-good, witty phrases.

My favourite songs from the album would have to be "From Afar" for its atmosphere consisting of subtle to intense elements of storytelling folk, "Georgina" for its sweet, almost lullaby-type tones and "Red Eye", which I feel is one of the most enthralling songs I've listened to in a long time; a supple verse that breaks into an enticing chorus.

If you're a fan of Mumford and Sons, George Ezra; the folky/singer-songwriter gang, you will be all over this record. 

Overall, a solid and enjoyable album - that is guaranteed to get you knowing the lyrics in your sleep within a couple of listens.

As always, you will find a direct link to listen to the album via the Spotify widget on the right-hand side. Give it a lash and let me know what you think.

What have you been listening to?



1 comments: