Friday, 3 October 2014

Less Stress | More Success



Have you found yourself stuck in a rut lately? Been under a lot of pressure and thinking it's never going to end? I feel you. We've all been there. They say that being busy is good for us, and it is - but what happens when it gets a bit too much for you? Is it worth tearing your hair out for the sake of a deadline? Maybe if we made that deadline less daunting, there would be no hair to tear.


September is a busy month for you if you are back at school or college, my culture shock landed to me towards the end of August. And it's only now that I'm starting to get more comfortable with the whole idea. I like work, as long as I am able to do so. Organisation and a calm head is key to not getting stressed out! I've put together a list of things that are helping me to stay on top of my game.



Organise yourself

Whether you are a student, employed or self employed - we all have a certain amount of tasks we need to get through each day. Being organised doesn't mean going on Pinterest and printing 25 calender templates to stick around your home (But if you do, then good for you!) or having 10 apps on your phone that you don't even use, or having the latest Filofax journal. You have to want to be organised. Organisation is everything from time management, the time you go to bed, when you get up, having your chores all done, meeting deadlines, filing, homework, accounts, meetings... You catch my drift. The list is absolutely endless. Write down the things you need to do today/this week/this month, set out when you envisage these things will be ticked off, establish how you will get through each task. I'm not going to blab on about how you can organise yourself, we all know what we have to do, because I'll be here all night otherwise. (But if you want to see something like that down the line let me know!)



Stay focused

It's very easy these days for us to procrastinate, especially if you're doing your work on a laptop or computer. You can download apps for your Mac - Self Control and StayFocused for Chrome if you wish for your browsers. These apps allow you to block Facebook or Twitter for example for the time you wish to disable access to them. Let's say you want to work from 6-7 pm, set the time for the websites to be denied, you will be unable to gain access. But after the time is up - the power is in your finger tips again! I don't use either myself, but I heard they are very good. You'd be surprised that you may actually search the websites in question, when  you know you won't gain access. I've a feeling I'll end up using StayFocused when exam time comes around the corner! 
As well as that, the earlier you start your work, the earlier you'll be finished - that's a win-win in my book! 


Try not to let things weigh you down

If you finding yourself to be under a lot of pressure with school/college or even work, don't be afraid to ask to extend deadlines. Although I don't suggest doing this every time you feel like it. Or if example you're finding something in particular a bit difficult, don't be afraid to ask someone for help! We're all human, and sometimes we aren't able to do absolutely everything at a specific time. If you have a good relationship with your teacher/tutor/boss, they will understand. I've done it before on a couple of occasions when things have got a bit much, once in a blue moon is perfectly fine.


Look after yourself

I mean this in every sense of the word. Look after yourself! Having a balanced and healthy diet, along with staying active is key into you remaining healthy. If you're not in the best of your health, any bit of work is going to be a hard more demanding than usual. Take vitamins if you need to, stay hydrated and make time for some activity. Be sure to get PLENTY SLEEP and REST. Pulling all nighters for the sake of meeting a deadline is bizarre to me. You have to put yourself first sometimes before you tackle the heavy stuff!


Take some time out
It's so important to be able to switch off, and I know - believe me I know how hard that can be sometimes. I know if I go-go-go non-stop around the clock everyday, I will eventually become sick and unwell. I know that's part and parcel of my own condition that's out of my control, but disability or no disability - I am still going to preach it to you! Do things you enjoy that is separate to your work/school life, something you enjoy and makes you happy. And try to do lots of it. Our minds need a break, and often people turn a blind eye to this, and it's a shame because we are all in want or need of a bit of "Me Time" every now and then.


It's wishful thinking to suggest that we can all life a 100% Stress Free life. But life is too short to sweat the small stuff, and maybe I take the Irish Mammy approach, but the steps above haven't seemed to let me down so far. Living a balanced life seems near impossible to a lot of us, but it is vital to prevent us from becoming bogged down, and stressed out. Bear in mind the tips above, and some of your own and you should be on a (hopefully) less bumpy road.


Now you're all set.


....And take a deep breath.

9 comments:

  1. The worst thing when I get stressed is that I struggle to sleep properly, which then makes things worse. I keep a notebook by my bed for those times I wake up at 3am worrying about things, I write it down and then drop off again.

    Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. I should start doing this myself!

      Catherine

      Delete
  2. Staying organized always helps. I always write down everything I need to do and looking at the list helps me from going insane! I also like to list the things from most to least important!

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love crossing things off lists, makes me feel like I've accomplished something!

      Catherine

      Delete
  3. All great tips, but with the last one I couldn't agree more. People really underestimate the power of 'me time' but even just having an after/evening off can do the world of good! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Sometimes when people do this they feel guilty! It's a shame because our bodies all need a rest at some point :)

      Catherine

      Delete
  4. Great tips, Catherine! I cannot agree more. We all find ourselves in stressful situations or routine from time to time. Luckily I don't feel too stressed out these days, but I know exactly what you are saying….
    Min x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these sort of posts, great tips and advice that everyone could do with following. ^_^ thanks for sharing! http://inkandnonsense.blogspot.co.uk/ xx

    ReplyDelete