Sunday, 26 October 2014

Dear You




Originality is the key to life in many ways. You are original, unbeknownst to you, you are one of a kind and nothing and absolutely no one can take your stance in this world from you. No one thinks quite like you, walks like you, talks like you, likes the same things as you. No one may have the same weird fear that if you don't wet your toothbrush before and after the toothpaste, then you might as well not brush your teeth in the first place. Another person hasn't seen life through your eyes, heard the things your ears have picked up along the way. You are infinitely you. You should not subsidise a part of yourself for the sake of standards that society likes to throw at us in tidal waves. Sometimes remaining no more, and no less than who you are is about keeping your head above the water.


As great as all of this sounds, some of us put ourselves down, tweak or alter parts of who we are to remain within a niche of people or ideologies. Some people are frightened at the thought of appearing to be different. What are they frightened of exactly? Who knows. Our biggest fear, as humans is possibly rejection, not being liked. Most of the time, it's paranoia, other times, it's past experience. 


I've been through all of this in my head more times than I dare to think. I've lived a bit of life, seen a few things; and through it all I learnt that the whole thing is rather exhausting. I've stopped morphing myself into behaving a certain way and ultimately - being someone who I'm not. Why should I? Ain't nobody got time fo' that.


What I'm trying to say is, don't be afraid to be you. You want to work hard to go to a certain college? Then do it. You want to change up your look? Then do it. You want to dye your hair a lime green? Then do it, and send me a picture of it.


Don't be afraid to make mistakes and don't be afraid to learn from other people. Who we are today, may not be the same person in 10 years time. We grow, we change; and throughout the journey we should be able to enjoy it, on our own accord. 


4 comments:

  1. I love this post! absolutely love it. a bit of uplifting reading and just what I needed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Hanna! That's exactly what I was hoping to do!

      Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  2. To echo the other comment, I LOVE this post. Such a feel good piece and I couldn't agree with it more. At times it can be lonely if you don't try to 'fit in' with others. Especially when you're younger. But I definitely think as you get older you realise it's better to have a couple of friends who love you for yourself than many that love you for being a carbon copy. :)

    Sara Bloo xo
    bloonstuff.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Sara! Exactly, I agree with you there.
      Thanks very much for having a read x

      Delete