Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Album of the Month #4 | Hozier



If you haven't heard about Hozier, especially this year - you haven't been keeping up with the times. Andrew Hozier-Byrne, known simply as Hozier, is an Irish musician from Bray, County Wicklow. In 2013 he released his debut EP Take Me to Church and his second EP From Eden in 2014. Both titled tracks have been major hits. Take Me To Church has been downloaded a staggering 70 million times, alongside a viral music video that carries a strong meaning. Hozier has struck a nerve, and he is one of the most talked-about musicians at the present moment.


His debut self titled album came out recently. I was eagerly awaiting the release, along with many others. And I have to say, this is a stunning piece of work. From the get-go, we are immersed in his blu-sy vocals. Even when arrangements are low, his voice thunders on with the sound. "Jackie and Wilson" and "Someone New" are lighter, radio friendly tracks that offers the listener a more varied sound. 



I have to admit, the first couple of times I listened to the album - I felt very, I mean very emotional. And that is by no means a criticism. I can't explain it. That hasn't happened to me since I discovered and re-discovered Declan O'Rourke's Since Kyabram. (Which is my favourite album of all time, by the way). 


This record has been on repeat the last couple of weeks; studying, getting ready, chores round the house - even when I'm taking my make-up off at night. It is a clear sign that really, Hozier is worth listening to.


It's hard to believe that the musician is only 24 years old. With such talent, he is sure to be on a path that brings him onto bigger and brighter things. Hozier is an immaculate and flawless album.


You can listen to Hozier via the player on the right hand side and be sure to let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. Good music. Where do you find out about all these musicians?
    Min x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Min,

      Usually it's just what I'm listening to myself. In Hozier's case, his music has been in the charts quite a bit this year over here in Ireland and abroad so I took an interest in his music and fell in love! Last month's album I reviewed was suggested to me, but other than that it's musicians I find myself - Spotify is great for that.

      Thanks for having a listen!

      Catherine x

      Delete
  2. Hozier is my favorite musician of the moment, and it's amazing to see him do so well internationally! Every time I see or hear a non Irish person talk about them I feel the need to go up to them, wave an Irish flag in their faces and shout 'we did that, he's ours!'. Like real people do is my favourite song of his.

    Love your taste in music, going to have a listen to that Declan O'Rourke album now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a class act, isn't he? I can't get enough of this album! Haha yeah I'm the exact same! If he could wear the flag himself sure wouldn't that be great ;)

      Aw thank you Alannah (That's such a compliment in this day in age!) Yes you most definitely should! I've been listening to Since Kyabram ever since I was 7 - 10 years (Yikes). Have a listen and let me know what you think :)

      Catherine x

      Delete