Saturday, 27 September 2014

Album of the Month #3 | Jay Woodward | Letters We Told




Some time ago, I was kindly suggested to listen to Jay Woodward's album, "Letters We Told". I took this on board and gave a listen, and I am so glad I did. 


Jay Woodward is an American musician. His music is that of an indie/folk genre, so of course I was going to be all over it. Listening to this album, you can tell it is a solid piece of art. I love the fact the first opening track "Mandolina" is an instrumental. It brings home to us that Woodward cares for music. And even without lyrics, there are simply no boundaries that cannot be met. 





Jay's hushed voice can sometimes give a haunting or chilling feel to the listener. And that is by no means a critique. With tracks such as "Don't Fall Asleep", it certainly gives that ambiance. Though in contrast, "Garden in The Sun" has a softer feel, and I can't stop thinking about a field full of daisies on a summer's day. So that shows you that this album really has everything. Jay's tone consistently remains calm throughout the record that is almost overpowering.


It's not many albums I say this about, in fact I've never said about an album before. But I feel that if I'm having a bad day, and listen to this - whatever happened that day simply disappears. And sometimes that's the sole reason why we listen to music, to escape. But sometimes escaping doesn't solve the root cause of why you took out your headphones in the first place. But by listening to "Letters We Told" it feels like Woodward's tone and music is hushing those problems away. Like gone. Ka-Poof. Gone.


We need to support and have more musicians like him out there, giving us an experience. To conclude, I applaud and highly commend Jay Woodward on this album, a job beautifully done.


You can listen to "Letters We Told" on the player on the right hand side and let me know what you think!


Have you any suggestion's for October's Album of the Month?

6 comments:

  1. His music sounds a bit amateur, but I do like it. "Letters We Told" is a great song!
    Min

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about supporting the smaller musicians :) Thanks for having a read Min, hope you're well!

      Catherine x

      Delete
    2. I agree, it's hard to get noticed. There are so many musicians out there, some of them are really good, they play somewhere in a little pub and very few know about them..

      Delete
  2. I've never heard this album, but since my favourite genre is indie/folk I may have to give it a listen! My favourite album this month was Ed Sheeran's X (Such an obvious choice I know...)
    Olivia xxx
    sunshineinadress.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That album is beast! It actually featured on August's album of the month! I'm quite the fan of it too :)

      Catherine x

      Delete
  3. I will be glad is absolutely beautiful, there's something really pure about the album that I really like (I also love the addition of a player on your page, such a handy little tool!) I'll definitely be downloading the album to listen to in my own time.

    Sammy xo.

    littlefickleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete