Friday, 29 August 2014

Guest Post | Silent Pressures of Social Media | Take 2 | How to Turn It All Around? by Mingaile Tarpy



I enjoyed reading Catherine’s blog post about social media called The Silent Pressures of Social Media where she talked about how hard it can be to constantly compare ourselves to somebody else, how easy it is to forget that other people’s lives are not perfect irrespective of all the beautiful pictures that we see on Facebook. I decided to extend this blog post and to kind of turn it all around, that is, to give you some food for thought and show you how social media can be used to your advantage if you have the right attitude.


First of all, I would like to make a distinction between various social media channels available, i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, Instagram (even though I haven’t ever used the last one yet) and so on… It is important to evaluate what those various platforms are and how we can benefit from them. For example, Facebook keeps us in touch with school friends, long-forgotten relatives and so on. It is great for people who want to stay in touch with each other and it is great for stalkers. There is another group of people on Facebook, that is people who like to show off. They post their best selfies, pics of their kids, parties, holidays and everything else which makes them look like they care about their image more than they care about living a life. Twitter has a completely different tone. Everyone seems to be very switched on there, everyone has a plan and posts tweets that benefit their business, generate sales and alike. Google Plus is somewhere in between; I am not familiar with the other networks well enough to comment, so you can make your own conclusions about those.


I think once we identify what benefits various networks can bring to us and how they make us feel, we will be able to filter out the social media sites that we should avoid and focus on the ones that benefit us in one way or another. If Facebook makes us sad, lets stop using it. We are not obliged to know about every friend’s holidays, the parties people went to and other crap that makes our lives appear miserable just because we only know about the good stuff that those people did and not the bad. If Twitter gives us opportunities which in turn makes us feel good, maybe we should spend more time on Twitter or maybe it’s the other way round? Whatever we decide, we must remember that we don’t have to do things that make us feel unhappy, unless it pays our bills, off course… lol. Let’s focus on the things that uplift us, things that present opportunities. I get a lot of blog post ideas from Twitter, I get free stuff from various companies that I can review in my blog, I meet nice people and I have written a couple of guest posts which I also enjoyed doing.  All of this would have not happened to me without the help of Twitter, so I call it a success. Twitter cheers me up, Facebook brings me down, but it’s all individual and you should decide for yourself what works for you and what doesn’t, so turn your social media into something that GIVES you something and NOT TAKES stuff from you, whether it’s good emotions, friendship, writing opportunities, free products or whatever it can be, make the most of it.


Which social media sites are your favorite? Which ones cheer you up and which ones bring you down, if any?


About the Author: 

Mingaile Tarpy blogs for www.minsbeautyequipment.comIt’s a beauty, skincare and anti-ageing blog. She also loves writing about various other things and, therefore, Mingaile enjoys opportunities to write for other blogs where she can talk freely about topics outside the scope of beauty. 

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the opportunity to guest post on your blog, Catherine! It's been a pleasure to work with you! Min x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Min, it was great to have you here on the blog! Be sure to keep in touch.

      Catherine x

      Delete
  2. I loooooooooove Instagram. I'm addicted to it and I'm not even sorry. However, I find it a bit like Twitter in the fact that you can only see a "snippet" of that person...and it's usually accompanied by a tonne of filters. The only time Instagram has let me down is when I see people posting "fitspo" photos of girls who obviously have eating disorders. Other than that, I think it's a great platform! I like Facebook as well because I have a slightly older friend group, so we tend to keep the drama off Facebook ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instagram is life haha! I find myself checking it subconsciously without realising! Facebook is my way of keeping in touch with friends/family away from home. It seems to have replaced texting for me :)

      Thanks for coming and having a read, Mingaile did a fabulous job!

      Catherine x

      Delete
    2. I would love to be on Instagram, but I don't think I would be able to keep up, so I just stick to whatever I'm already on..

      Delete
  3. Nice post Mingaile!
    I think google+ is my favourite, but at the same time it has caused me the most trouble.
    I want to like facebook, but it gets on my nerves all the time.
    It's a little hard for me to keep up with twitter and I am not a big fan of instagram.
    I like Pinterest a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Demi! I like Google+ too, but I think I prefer Twitter. I hate Google+ communities, their curators keep deleting my posts, even when I think it's totally appropriate to post to one community or another. Some people just don't like us promoting our stuff even when it is relevant to their subject. Other than that, it's great!

      Delete
  4. Great post. A lot of people continue posting on certain social media sites because they feel pressured to keep up the act. But as you said, you should always remember that you don't need to do it if you're not enjoying it (unless it's part of your work which is a whole other story). But a lot of people forget that.

    Love,
    Iram @ Lovestruck for Louboutins

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this. :) I definitely ditched facebook a long time ago (except I have a page for my blog now but hardly ever use it and don't get much traffic from it) because it was just too overwhelming to have to be friends with acquaintances and relatives that you felt obligated to connect with even if they never really gave you the time of day. Now I use twitter for meeting bloggers and just for following brands and am in love with instagram as that is where I can express myself best and not feel obligated to follow old friends or relatives.

    ReplyDelete