Friday, 25 July 2014

Sweet At 17



Hello everyone!


Before I begin with today's post, I just want to say thank you to everyone who has followed my little blog. (and if you've just stumbled here, hello!) I've gotten a lot of feedback from people, and I am surprised things have come this far already. Thanks very much everyone. 


Since my last post, I turned 17! It was my birthday last Sunday. I've had quite a busy week, hence I haven't posted anything. As I've gotten older, my birthdays are less and less important to me really. Having said that, turning 18 next year will celebrated a bit differently I can tell you! I didn't get up to anything too exciting. I caught up with some friends and family. I headed to my local pub on Monday night (still drinking soft drinks, don't you fret). Every Monday in my local there is (traditional Irish) music on the go over the summer and a bit of a sing song afterwards. Casually, I got Happy Birthday sang to me in Irish (Breithlá Shona Duit) at 2 o'clock in the morning - no biggie. 



Being 17, you're so close - and so far away? I suddenly feel very old. It only seems like yesterday that I was running around on the swings and experimenting with my sisters' makeup when they weren't looking. It's all going so fast. I've seen a lot of my younger little cousins recently, and it's crazy to think we were all at that stage. Currently two of my cousins who are sisters are at the stage where they're asking questions. We were all like that, I certainly was. They're so funny to be around. I really feel my age when I'm around them. You can't help but feel a tad nostalgic.


I'm in no rush with things, I'm happy to sit on the ride and enjoy the journey as it comes. Technically, I could legally start learning how to drive, but I'm quite laid back really. What's the rush? I'll have plenty of time to learn how, and drive around. I've seen and gone through a lot in my little 17 years and I'm not going to put myself under any pressure to follow a crowd. I think young people put themselves under huge pressure to grow up so fast. Everything will happen in it's own time. My plan for the next couple of years is to keep the head down and be focused on my exams, and do as best as I can. 


School is just around the corner (freaking). But before any of that happens, I'm taking part in a writer's workshop next week. It's ran by Scoil Acla every year. Scoil Acla run a summer school in Achill Island for mainly traditional Irish music, but there's also some other classes running. Irish writer, Macdara Woods is going to be my tutor. It'll be my third year doing it this year and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll explain a little bit more it next week and how I got on.



I've got some upcoming posts in the pipeline coming to you very soon! In the meantime, any suggestions are very welcome. Keep an eye out for a favourites post of some of the things I was kindly gifted.



Have you got any stories of when you were 17?





13 comments:

  1. Rauno Kulmala; Sydämelliset Onnittelut Sinulle,että jo 17 vuotias,on ihanaa olla Sinun ikäinen.Minä tapasin nykyisen vaimoni hänen ollessaan 17 vuotias,siinä on Sinun kanssa meillä jotakin yhteistä.Toistan; se on nuoren naisen ihaninta aikaa,siitä alkaa nimittäin naisistuminen ja niin en kerro enmpää, tiedät mitä tarkoitan.Enemmän sitten myöhemmin. terv Rauno-pappa Finland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting! Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. I turned 17 back in April and I really just went for a meal with a friend and another meal with my family...I feel that 17th's should be relaxed because wait till your crazy 18th! Haha...I also didn't decide to rush into driving, it's expensive and also so so dangerous that I'd rather wait until I've matured before I start driving, I also want my friends to mature so I can be safe in a car with them. Lovely post Catherine!

    Hannah xo

    hannahsramblesblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way to do it :) I'm almost too afraid to put my foot on the pedal. We had this driving campus come down to our school for a day and we all got a little go. You shoulda have seen me! SCARLET isn't the word! Thanks for coming over and having a read. Chat soon.

      Catherine x

      Delete
  3. Happy 17th Birthday! I'm new to your blog so hi! I really enjoyed reading your post. Your attitude to life and studying is admirable! :) I've just finished my A Levels in the UK (I'm 18) and throughout my 2 years of studying, I was very focused and always concentrated on getting my work done. It's tiring but so rewarding, I'm sure you'll do great in your exams! :)

    Enjoy the writer's workshop! Looking forward to hearing all about it. :)

    Kat
    (www.katlast.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!Haha thanks so much! I'm actually looking forward to getting a bit of work done when I go back in August. I'm weird like that. Hopefully it'll all work out. Fair play to you on completing your exams, all that studying is exhausting but I'm sure it'll pay off for you. I'm very excited for the workshop, should be fun. Thanks so much for coming and having a read.

      All the best,

      Catherine x

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! I can't believe you are feeling nostalgic already lol! You are right to sit back and enjoy it. Though I would say in my opinion learning to drive when you are young is a good thing. If I hadn't learnt when I did I would be struggling now, it would really have limited where I could look for a job, getting into town etc. Plus when you are older you have other things that require your money such as rent. Just my opinion anyway.
    I would love to have been a fly on the wall at your pub, I am a bit partial to a bit of irish music hehe.
    Amy at Amy & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amy. Thank you! You would have wanted to be there alright, it was fairly lively! You've raised a very good point there and I see where you're coming from completely. I'm going to actually explain some of these things in some posts down the line, just some experiences in the past have scared me a bit to learn how to drive to be honest, so keep an eye out for those. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Talk soon,

      Catherine x

      Delete
  5. That's fair enough then, everyone is different and like you say, has their own reasons.

    Anything you think I should listen to? Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. George Ezra's new album Wanted on Voyage is very good. His voice is like chocolate, it's only way I can describe it haha! If you haven't listened to Kodaline or The Script, then you really should. I hear One Republic's album is really good. Hope this helps, Catherine x

      Delete
  6. Hey, honey! What do you think about follow each other via bloglovin? If you want, just follow me there and I'll follow you back! http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3947784

    ReplyDelete
  7. To read your blog posts and not know your age I would say you have a very mature head on your shoulders.
    A very, very belated Happy Birthday to you.

    Best wishes, Danielle x
    underlandtowonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yep, 17 years and counting! Thank you very much x

      Delete