Friday, 18 July 2014

Reaction | The Fault In Our Stars Movie





I should begin by saying that I am in no means a film critic or even a regular cinema-goer. This post is more of a reaction than a review - because there is so many FEELS. Although I hope to bring some actual opinions while reliving the emotional roller coaster.


Like many others, I read the book. I read it last summer within a day and a half. I feel in love with the novel, plot and the characters. When I was reading it, at the time there was no talk of a possible film. I was reading it purely to read it. 


To briefly summarize TFIOS, it begins with a 17 year old girl, Hazel who has lung cancer. Due to a wonder-drug, she has lived longer than expected. Her mother encourages her to go to a support group. It is then that she bumps into our second main character, Augustus Waters - who at the time is a cancer survivor, but it results in him having a prosthetic leg. To say that Gus pursues Hazel is a bit of an understatement. From here on in, they get to know each other.



The basis of their relationship ends up being Hazel's favorite book, An Imperial Affliction. She requires Augustus to read it and in turn, he requires her to read the book that is the basis of his favorite video game. Hazel relates to the character in her favorite book, Anna, because Anna has a rare blood cancer. Augustus and Hazel bond over the book because both of them of a burning desire to find out how the story ends because the author stops the book before providing conclusion on what happens to each of the characters.


Augustus joins Hazel's pursuit of the book's author, Peter Van Houten, to provide the answers that they need. Augustus even uses a wish foundation to fly him and Hazel to Amsterdam, where the author lives, to talk with him in person. While Hazel is the one that is doomed to die, Augustus ends up telling Hazel that at his recent scan, the doctors discovered that his entire body is filled with cancer. Hazel spends the last months of Augustus's life caring for him and loving him.

2 days ago I finally got to see the long anticipated film, with my sister. She hadn't read the book so she was in for a treat altogether. I should point out that I would recommend seeing this film in the evening time. We ended up seeing this at 2 o'clock in the afternoon which was a hella-of a big mistake. We both were poofy eyed at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. And such states seem more socially acceptable when the sun goes down. J'a feel me?



Watching this film made me feel like I was reliving the book all over again. Which isn't an easy thing to do. It starts off on the right foot and remains that way throughout the film. Scenes and dialogue just seemed to move seamlessly, and the book translates brilliantly on the silver screen. Many people point out how they found the conversations between Hazel and Augustus hard to follow because "teenagers don't talk like that". I would beg to differ, you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. However the dialogue, with both Shailene's and Ansel's voices, it just seemed to marry-up very well.


I really do think that the actors were faithful to the characters. It was clear that they do care to bring the characters to life and do the film justice. Even the other characters like Isaac and Hazel's parents felt important to me - it felt that everyone had their place, whether it was big or small and it belonged there. I really do applaud Shailene Woodley's and Ansel Elgort's performance in this film. They made me lose myself within the film completely. I believed the story all the way through. 





There was literally synchronising breathing taking place in the cinema, though there was only a handful of us there.  There was a group of girls a couple of rows behind me that were clearly absolutely saturated in their own tears. But it felt okay, there was a silent acceptance to this. Some of them didn't have the strength to laugh at the funny parts. But Miss Muggins here made up for all of them. 


I started to get teary-eyed myself at the eulogy part in the Literal Heart of Jesus, I just - I was gone at that point. And from then on it was a lot of feelings within 20 minutes. When "Not About Angels" started playing - I was finished.


I felt that the duration of the film was perfect. It wasn't too much or not enough. They hit all the important parts, including make me dislike Peter Van Houten even more so. Does anyone feel the same way? They depicted the drunk and arrogant fellow quite accurately. 



To conclude, I give this film a  5/5 from me. It was an experience in itself. I would urge anyone that hasn't read or seen the book to do so. Please let me know what you thought of the book or film in the comments section below.


Let's make John Green proof eye make up a thing shall we?



Okay?
Okay. 





2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book or seen the film but it sounds like a tearjerker. The only thing I wish you had put above is a very brief sypnosis of the book/film because I'm of few who doesn't know what it is about lol. Amy any more.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, thanks so much for reading my post. The book and film is a choker alright! I previously didn't include a summary as I felt tfios was universal at this stage aha. But I have updated the post and included a synopsis. Thanks so much for your feedback! If you ever read/see the fault in our stars, be sure to let me know :)

      Delete