Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Music Taste | Album of the Month






Over the years I have knitted down the music that I listen to. Music is a big part of my life, and it always has been. It's nearly the cliche thing to say that it has helped me along many a journey, but it has.  Yes, I went through that Pop phase when I was younger, bought endless copies of the Now! That's What I Call Music CDs. I was a die-hard Westlife fan back in the day. But as I grew, my music taste did too. I remember when I was 6, I was given a hand-me-down Walkman from my sister, a Kenny Rogers album (don't ask), a Walt Disney CD and  Micky Joe Harte single. (He was the guy with the green guitar that sang "We Got the World Tonight. Does anyone remember him?). It was at this point I was embarking my 10 year stint at regular spinal surgery. When I was 8, I started listening to Declan O'Rourke (His album since Kyabram is a road to my soul) and Katie Melua, among many others. And it was from that point that I knew, I wasn't into mainstream music. So what do I listen to now?



I would say that I am into the indie/folk/alternative genres. Hence, I adore Kodaline, The Script, Florence and the Machine, Ed Sheeran and many more. I take a great pride in the music that I listen to! Although, there was a time when such music was swept under the carpet, and not celebrated. Nowadays I notice more and more people are listening to artists such as these. Alternative music is now getting the ear space and airtime it so truly deserves - and long may it continue.


Spotify and similar services are a great way to expand the music you listen to. With endless playlists, albums and a radio for every genre - you are sure to find your jam. I've been using (the free version) Spotify for a few months now, particularly on my iPad. The free experience on a laptop/tablet far outweighs the mobile version. With that in mind I've been listening to all my favourite artists plus; Monsters of Men, George Ezra, (Can we please appreciate how beautiful his track Budapest is?!) Young the Giant, Arctic Monkeys - I could go on forever. It's a great platform, and I'm discovering new artists to listen to almost every day.


As Breathing Silver Linings is a lifestyle blog - with music being a big interest of mine, I may do a monthly post on either a list of songs or albums that I have been diggin' - j'a feel me? 


Album of the Month: Ed Sheeran - Multiply (Deluxe)





If you a fan of Ed Sheeran, or listen to him time to time on the radio, then you'd know that he recently released his second studio album "Multiply" (X). I'm not going to lie, it took me a couple of listens to the album to really get it. A couple of his songs from the new album has caused quite the stir. This second album is quite the change from his sweet songs that we know too fine well from "Plus". Having said that, it is quite refreshing to see him grow as a person with his music. The hint is in the name really, Multiply. The sound has multiplied really. With songs like "Don't", "Sing", "The Man" and "Take it Back", we really see shift in his sound. Although if you are a fan of his sweeter songs, don't fret - there are still some! "Photograph", "One" and "Alfire Love" left me feeling a bit teary-eyed alright.


If you listen to the album you'll notice how there is a little bit of an emotional roller-coaster going on. The hectic R&B songs, along with the slower, acoustic tunes are mixed - it's not split half in half. Which is a good thing! The tracks are placed as such to give you the ultimate listening experience. I've been listening to it almost every day since the day I bought it when it was released in Ireland. Overall it's a solid album that quenches my music thirst for the foreseeable. I applaud Ed for being brave and bringing something new to the table.


If you wish to have a listen to Multiply, have a click on the Spotify widget on the right hand side. Let me know what you think!


Stay tuned for the next album of the month.





2 comments:

  1. I really like posts with music suggestions. I'll be looking forward to next month's album. Just a friendly suggestion...maybe you could add a Spotify player, so readers can easily listen to the songs you're describing. Thanks for sharing :)
    http://winterthorne.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myra, thanks so much for having a read! I love finding out new music myself. Thanks very much for your feedback. I took up your suggestion and set up a Spotify widget.. It seems to be working! Great idea :)

      Delete